Sunday, August 21, 2016

MY SAN FRAN REFLECTION




















One word:  wow.  The amount of work done, meetings attended, and experiences had in a few days was impressive.  I didn’t think I had it in me after getting well under eight hours of sleep per night, but somehow our group pulled through.  The work was daunting, but at the very least it was interesting. 
  
Looking back, it wasn't so much work but a life learning experience.  I was able to learn many different things about the sharing economy.   Our group was able to attend three different meal-sharing experiences, take a cookie-baking class for the attractions piece, try-out Getaround as well as stay in a HomeAway property.  We visiting the AirBNB, Uber, and Feastly offices and were presented to by some very impressive employees.  One piece I took away is that the companies we all studied still have a long way to go.  All of the groups were able to recommend very specific and concrete improvement opportunities and a lot focused on Customer Service.  Another thing I learned was that these companies are very inconsistent.  Just because I had a good experience somewhere or with a specific company, it doesn’t mean someone else will have the same experience.  I also learned that you don’t have to be 50 years old to start a company; you have to be passionate regardless your age.  The fact that I knew almost nothing about the sharing economy only a few short months ago, now seems unreal.


Overall, the trip to San Francisco was definitely a lot of work, but in exchange, I received a lot of knowledge on an extremely interesting and growing industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment